An organizational value is a belief that a specific mode of conduct is preferable to an opposite or contrary mode of conduct. We can think of these values as representing structures for the way we do things. Some organizations think of their values as their “guiding beacon” which directs the process of their organizational development and growth. Other companies describe them as the components of their work philosophy. Core values relate to how companies deal with their beliefs about their employees, customers and work. The studies regarding this subject show that successful companies place a great deal of emphasis on their values.
Values at work assist us by:
- Providing a structure for how we treat one another at work.
- Providing a structure for how we treat our customers.
- Providing a structure for achieving the vision and increasing the effectiveness of the organization.
- Creating an environment that leads to job satisfaction as well as finding work which is exciting and challenging.
Values at work are very important because:
- They give us guidelines for our behavior even when we are stressed out.
- It is a highly competitive world and they help us to show our customers how we are different from other providers.
- People are aware of organizational values and look for them when choosing one company over another.
- They provide the basis for achieving great change.
- They help enable people and organizations to succeed.
- They have an impact on professional practices.
- They can provide a measurement of success for all employees.
WHAT OUR VALUES LOOK LIKE
Listening to and respecting each other achieves mutually beneficial results. When we are unsure we check with others as to what they meant. Everyone has strengths which we value and will use whenever possible. We request for help when needed.
By providing support to one another, working co-operatively, respecting one another’s views and making our work environment fun and enjoyable, we help others to achieve their deadlines. We work with one another with enthusiasm and appreciation.
We work with one another without manipulation. Conflicts are resolved according to agreed guidelines for the team and they are brought out into the open and dealt with constructively until everyone is satisfied with the results.
This requires being open and honest in all our dealings and maintaining the highest integrity at all times. All concerns are given with positive solutions offered. A good attitude is a skill everyone should learn to achieve.
Always doing what we say we will and striving for efficiency and quality in everything we do. Quality will always delight the client and keep everyone else in the company happy. We work efficiently toward a better future for the company.
Being responsible and committed helps the company to get successful perspectives and results both individually and collectively. Taking ownership of our customers’ needs and being accountable for delivering friendly and professional service. We are each fully accountable for our work in gaining any possible repeat business with customers.
We value learning, feedback, coaching and mentoring. Coaching and mentoring are commonplace in our company because we all coach and mentor one another. We see all opportunities as a learning experience and we pursue them. We have a balance between our personal life and our professional life and we try to keep a healthy work balance that helps us perform more efficiently.